Philly MAC-Down Rules
Think you’ve got the BEST vegan Mac & Cheese in Philly? We’d love to see you show off your skills on Saturday, April 25, 2020!
Here are the rules for Philly MAC-Down 5: Get Your VEGAN Mac On!
1. This is a VEGAN competition! All ingredients MUST be vegan: That means:
NO dairy (milk, butter, whey, casine/casinate, etc)
NO confectioner’s glaze (shellac)
NO animal-based food dyes
NO products derived/sourced from ANY animals (this includes insects too)
Note about sugar: You MUST refrain from sugars filtered through bone char. For a list of approved sugars, please click here!
Not sure about an ingredient? Email us!
2. This is a VEGAN MAC & CHEESE competition. Therefore, your dish must include vegan macaroni (pasta) and cheese in the ingredients. You can be as creative as you want in your recipe and presentation. It just has to be VEGAN (See Rule #1)!
3. This is a PRO-AM competition. Amateur home chefs and kitchen professionals are welcome to compete!
Note: If you are a professional cook/chef, you will be representing yourself and NOT your business/employer. Culinary students are welcome, but again, you will NOT be representing your school at the event, just yourself and your mac & cheese wizardry. Got it?
Double Note: Weary about competing against a pro or an amateur, YOU GOT THIS!
4. The minimum age of each contestant and assistant to participate is 18 years of age.
5. There is NO KITCHEN at the venue. All cooking will need to be done before you arrive to the venue. You may assemble your dish at your assigned table, which you may share with another competitor.
Note: If you want to use a warmer or hot plate, please contact the organizers at firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Prepare enough food to provide 250 tasting samples for the voting audience, judges and press. If in doubt, make more. 250 is the minimum! Note: Due to ticket sales, we may ask this number to be increased or decreased
7. Bring THREE (3) copies of a printed list of your ingredients. This will be helpful to those with allergy questions
8. Make a sign, as simple or as festive as you like! Include the name of your mac & cheese awesomeness! Get creative!
9. Each competitor is allowed to bring ONE (1) helper with them. Your helper will NOT need to purchase a ticket. Please email us with that person’s name and have them added to the guest list. If you are entering as a TEAM, only 2 persons will be considered as the "team" and no additional helpers will be permitted.
We will also have volunteers on hand to assist teams, if necessary. Based on the number of volunteers available, we will try to assign 1 to everyone 1-2 competitors.
10. Doors will open at 12:00pm. Sampling will begin between 12:20pm & 12:30pm. You may show up as early as 10:30am to set up, get settled and have some friendly sMAC talk banter with your fellow competitors. Please arrive no later than 4pm!
Apply to Compete
We appreciate everyone’s interest! To ensure quality of the competitors, all who are interested must complete the application process, which involves completing the entrant’s form and agreeing to the competition rules.
The maximum number of competitors for this competition will be TWELVE (12).
Click here for the entry form. Application deadline is Tuesday, March 31, 2019 at 11:59pm ET.
Approval to Compete
The competition organizers will review each entry form upon submission. Criteria we seek will be as follow:
Completes the entry form in full
Understands the meaning of veganism
Provides a creative/interest/droolworthy summary of their dish (We’d love to see your recipe, if you have it ready)
Agrees to the rules and terms
If you’re not vegan, but can make AHHHHMAZING vegan food, we won’t discriminate!
All approved competitors will be notified by Friday, April 3, 2020. The formal announcement of competitors will take place on Sunday, April 5, 2020.
If we do not have 12 competitors by March 31st, late approved entrants will be announced as added.