The Great Philadelphia Vegan BAKE-UP 2018 - Official Rules
OFFICIAL COMPETITION RULES
Think you make the BEST VEGAN HALLOWEEN CUPCAKES? We’d love to see you show off your skills at the inaugural GREAT PHILADELPHIA VEGAN BAKE-UP 2018 on Sunday, October 28, 2018!
Apply by Sunday, September 30, 2018. Selected contestants will be announced on Sunday, October 7, 2018 at 7pm on the event's Facebook page!
HERE ARE THE RULES:
1. This is a VEGAN competition! All ingredients MUST be vegan: That means:
- NO meat
- NO fish
- NO dairy (milk, butter, whey, casine/casinate, etc)
- NO eggs
- NO gelatin
- NO honey
- NO confectioner’s glaze (shellac)
- NO animal-based food dyes
- NO products derived/sourced from ANY animals (this includes insects too)
Note about sugar: You MUST refrain from sugars filtered through bone char. For a list of approved sugars, please click here!
Not sure about an ingredient? Email us!
2. This is a VEGAN BAKING competition. For Year One, we've selected CUPCAKES as the item of choice. Therefore, your recipe & product must fall in line with the definition of a cupcake, noting that standard sized cupcakes are approximately 2 inches in diameter. Mini cupcakes are approximately 1 inch in diameter. They serve one person and are typically baked in a liner (if you choose) and are usually iced (decorations are up to you)
3. This is a HALLOWEEN competition. Therefore, your cupcake should be decorated in a Halloween theme of your choosing. Be mindful that this is a family-friendly event. So, please refrain from any potentially offensive decorations of your cupcake or display table
4. This is an AMATEUR competition. Amateur home chefs and kitchen professionals are welcome to compete!
Note: If you are a professional cook/chef, you will be representing yourself and NOT your business/employer. Culinary students are welcome, but again, you will NOT be representing your school at the event, just yourself and your vegan cupcake wizardry. Got it?
Double Note: Weary about competing against a pro or an amateur, YOU GOT THIS!
5. The minimum age of each contestant to participate is 18 years of age.
6. There is NO KITCHEN at the venue. All baking will need to be done before you arrive to the venue. You may decorate & assemble your cupcakes at your assigned table
Note: If you want to use a warmer or hot plate, please contact the organizers at email@example.com
7. Prepare enough food to provide 250 tasting samples for the voting audience & judges + 3-4 standard size cupcakes for display
7. Bring THREE (3) copies of a printed list of your ingredients. This will be helpful to those with allergy questions
8. Make a sign, as simple or as festive as you like! Include the name of your vegan cupcake creation
9. Each competitor is allowed to bring ONE (1) helper with them. If you're entering as a team, you'll be each other's helper. Your helper will NOT need to purchase a ticket (and neither will you). Please email us with that person’s name and have them added to the guest list.
We will have volunteers on hand to assist teams, if necessary. Based on the number of volunteers available, we will try to assign 1 to everyone 1-2 competitors.
10. Doors will open at 10:00am. Sampling will begin at 10:30am. You may show up as early as 9:00am to set up, get settled and have some friendly smack talk banter with your fellow competitors. Please arrive no later than 9:00am!
Selected to compete? We have a FULL competitor's guide available with all the contest details.
Up for grabs will be the prestigious CUPCAKE JAWN CHAMPIONSHIP plaque, a beautiful gift basket full of goodies (we're keeping HUSH right now), and BEST OF ALL..BRAGGING RIGHTS FOR 1 YEAR! Top Prize value = $250!
We'll also have prizes for Second Place, Third Place, MOST ORIGINAL and PHILLY'S CHOICE!